Last week saw the arrival of my Rhubarb crowns. I ordered 9 in total... 3 Stockbridge arrow, 3 Suttons seedless and 3 Victoria. They all came from Suttons, and I am very happy with the quality of them (not that I know much about Rhubarb crowns though :).
Sunday turned out to be planting day for them, when they got to settle into their new lifelong home in one of my permanent planting beds (hopefully the start of my potager).
The soil was pretty wet, so I threw a plank of timber across to walk on, and spaced them out along it. I aimed for about 1m between each plant, but probably ended up with about 0.8m which I hope will be ok. The ground had been dug previously, but I dug out a hole with the spade and dropped some compost and fertiliser in before positioning the crowns.... after all, one can never have too much organic matter in the ground!! :)
A bit more compost then got placed around the crowns before covering back over with soil. I made sure the crowns sat just below the surface. I shall drop a mulch on top of them this weekend coming, probably of well rotted manure, and hopefully they will flourish there for the next 5 or 6 years before I need to divide them.
Unfortunately there will be no picking from them this year, so I will have to wait until next spring to try my first stems from them, I do have one existing plant that I can pick from this year though to quench my thirst for the delightful pink stalks for the time being :) I fancy a couple of those traditional rhubarb forcing pots to bring some sweet early stems on next spring, but they cost an absolute fortune whenever I have seen them before.... I may end up coming up with some kind of contraption myself :) All I can now do is wait... and dream of those rhubarb crumbles!! :)