- 1 1/2 cups of lukewarm water
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp dryed yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 or 6 cups of strong white bread flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (softened)
For the filling...
For the glaze...
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp water
- Combine the yeast, 1 tbsp sugar and 1/2 cup of water in a small bowl and set aside to activate.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface until it's smooth and elastic, which usually takes me about 5 minutes. Place the dough in a large greased bowl and cover the top with clingfilm. Leave to rise for about 1 1/2 hours.
- While the dough is rising, cook the bacon in a small pan, drain it and then chop it up into small pieces then soften the onion in a pan with the butter.
- I bake my own ham in the oven with a few cloves and some honey the night before I make these, but you can get it ready cooked from the supermarket if you like.